Durham Region - It's been 20+ degrees in the past couple of days, time to start your spring cleaning. Odds are you going to have some stuff you can't just toss aside but it must have value to someone. It's time to host a yard sale!
With TV shows like Canadian Pickers and Storage Wars becoming more popular every day, there's never been a better time to organize your house and make a few bucks. Here's a few tips that can help you host a successful yard sale:
1. Set Realistic Goals. If the thought of lugging all your junk back into the garage or house drags you down, then keep your prices quite cheap. Get rid of it all! Unless...you are trying to earn enough for a new garden gnome. Well then, make sure your prices are fair and have some bigger ticket items to sell. A general rule is to price items at about a third of the retail value.
2. Be a Canadian Picker: pick the right date. You'll likely want to choose a date when it is somewhat warm (May through September), a weekend, and a date that is not competing with any other major community function such as Bowmanville's Applefest.
3. Hey, Neighbour! Wha generates more buyers than a yard sale? Five yard sales! You will bring much more traffic to your sale if you have a street sale. Prepare in advance by asking your neighbours at least four weeks in advance. Just make sure you don't sell your stuff to your neighbours and vice versa. Counter-productive.
4. Advertise and promote. Post at your local supermarket. Free ads on kijiji and craigslist. Don't forget to promote it locally on this facebook group.
5. Understand your location. If your home is on a busy street and/or parking is difficult, consider moving your cars so people have a place to park. Think like your customers. Live in the suburbs? Street signs become much important if you live on a secluded court or you are off the beaten path. Make street signs simple, clean, and clear, with an address, directional arrows and hours of operation.
6. Open early! Garage sale hunters know the best bargains are scooped up within the first hours, and these early birds are like hawks! They'll probably be your best customers. Have cash for change ready. You likely don't take PayPal.
Author:Stephen Young Phone: 905-259-3869 Dated: May 4th 2012 Views: 1,938 About Stephen : Stephen Young, Sales Representative, Keller Williams Energy Real Estate Brokerage -
How is Stephe...
Our savvy team of professionals is committed to consistently provide outstanding real estate service to our clients, customers and cooperators, through dedication, excellence, and the highest ethical standards. We are available to instantly answer your questions and we look forward to assisting you with your next home purchase.
If you are considering selling your house, our savvy listing specialists are ready to provide you with an accurate market analysis and unique marketing strategy. Contact us today.
Durham Region - We at the Durham Home Savvy Team are very proud to int
"Julita Jaworski and Stephen Young presented in a professional calm manner, most knowledgeable and considerate of our needs.
Thank you for your hard work, dedication and guidance through the negotiations. Your level of service exceeded my expectations and was seamless throughout the selling process.
Julita consistently kept us "in the loop" of information and we were so happy to have such a confident agent who took control and was fun & full of energy.
The best part of course was the multiple offers even in this economy! Everything was as perfect as it could be.
Sincerely we wish you all the success in the future. We are pleased to recommend Julita Jaworski and Stephen Young without hesitation.